Playing Minecraft is a lot of fun, but the game is more engaging, entertaining, and educational when kids learn how to build mods—small programs that let them modify game elements and add content. This family-friendly guide teaches kids and parents how to create mods of different types, using the Minecraft Forge modding tool. No programming experience is needed.
You’ll not only build some amazing mods with the book’s easy-to-follow instructions, but you’ll also learn how to work with Java, the same programming language that Minecraft uses. Why wait? Get started with computer programming and be more creative with Minecraft while you’re at it!
This book will help you:
- Learn the fundamentals of Minecraft Forge and other tools, such as Eclipse
- Start out by building and testing a simple chat message mod
- Build cool mods that make things explode on contact, and help entities jump higher and climb walls
- Introduce new Minecraft content, including commands, blocks, items, and recipes and textures
- Work with Java fundamentals such as classes, methods, annotations, control structures, and arrays
- Learn techniques for creating your own mods
This guide is based on workshops the authors deliver to kids around the world.More info →
Java continues to grow and evolve, and this Cookbook continues to evolve in tandem. This book helps to get you up to speed right away with hundreds of hands-on recipes across a broad range of Java topics. You’ll learn useful techniques for everything from string handling and functional programming to network communication.
Each recipe includes self-contained code solutions that you can freely use, along with a discussion of how and why they work. If you are familiar with the basics of the Java language, this cookbook will bolster your knowledge of the language in general and its many recent changes and how to apply them in your day-to-day development.
- Methods for compiling, running, and debugging
- “Packaging” Java classes and building applications
- Manipulating, comparing, and rearranging text
- Regular expressions for string- and pattern-matching
- Handling numbers, dates, and times
- Structuring data with collections, arrays, and other types
- Object-oriented and functional programming techniques
- Input/Output, Directory and filesystem operations
- Network programming on both client and server
- Processing JSON for data interchange
- Multithreading and concurrency
- Using Java in Big Data applications
- Interfacing Java with other languages
The 4th Edition of this book has been updated to cover changes through Java 12 and includes new recipes for Big Data and data science.More info →
This updated edition of Java in a Nutshell not only helps experienced Java programmers get the most out of Java versions 9 through 11, it’s also a learning path for new developers. Chock full of examples that demonstrate how to take complete advantage of modern Java APIs and development best practices, this thoroughly revised book includes new material on Java Concurrency Utilities.
The book’s first section provides a fast-paced, no-fluff introduction to the Java programming language and the core runtime aspects of the Java platform. The second section is a reference to core concepts and APIs that explains how to perform real programming work in the Java environment.
- Get up to speed on language details, including Java 9-11 changes
- Learn object-oriented programming, using basic Java syntax
- Explore generics, enumerations, annotations, and lambda expressions
- Understand basic techniques used in object-oriented design
- Examine concurrency and memory, and how they’re intertwined
- Work with Java collections and handle common data formats
- Delve into Java’s latest I/O APIs, including asynchronous channels
- Become familiar with development tools in OpenJDK
If you want to push your Java skills to the next level, this practical book provides expert advice from leading luminaries within the Java ecosystem. You’ll be encouraged to stretch yourself by learning new techniques, look at problems in new ways, take responsibility for your work, and become as good at the entire craft of programming as you possibly can.More info →
Performance tuning is an experimental science, but that doesn’t mean engineers should resort to guesswork and folklore to get the job done. Yet that’s often the case. With this practical book, intermediate to advanced Java technologists working with complex technology stacks will learn how to tune Java applications for performance using a quantitative, verifiable approach.More info →
As in previous editions, each chapter of Effective Java, Third Edition, consists of several “items,” each presented in the form of a short, stand-alone essay that provides specific advice, insight into Java platform subtleties, and updated code examples. The comprehensive descriptions and explanations for each item illuminate what to do, what not to do, and why.
More info →
Do you know Java is being used worldwide? These days it is difficult to find a platform not running on Java. Their uses begin from commercial e-commerce website to Android apps, from desktop applications to games, from financial applications to scientific applications, from J2ME applications to open source library and much more.
Our goal is to make sure you learn Java as quickly as you can without going through much stress.More info →
Master ES6, ES7, and ES8More info →
Java 11 Cookbook: A definitive guide to learning the key concepts of modern application development, 2nd Edition
- Explore the latest features of Java 11 to implement efficient and reliable code
- Develop memory-efficient applications, understanding new garbage collection in Java 11
- Create restful webservices and microservices with Spring boot 2 and Docker